Australian High Commission

General Passport Applications and Renewals

General FAQs

Can I submit my passport application online?

No. Australian citizens living in Singapore can only lodge passport applications in person at the High Commission. You must book an appointment to lodge a passport application here.  More information regarding appointment bookings and the booking policy is available here

Who needs to attend the High Commission to lodge the passport?

All applicants (adult or children) over the age 16 must lodge their passport application in person. Children under 16 years of age do not need to attend their passport appointment. To avoid delays with child passport applications, we recommend both parents attend the passport interview.

How long is the wait for a Passport?

The Australian Passport Office (APO) is currently seeing strong demand for passports. For this reason, it is advising its customers to apply for or renew their passport well ahead of their planned travel dates. The APO is therefore recommending, at least for now, that they allow a minimum of six weeks to get a new passport. 

Can I apply for priority processing?

No, priority processing service is not available in Singapore.  Priority processing is only available in Australia.

 Can I renew my passport before it expires?

Yes, you can renew your passport at any time.

Can I authorise someone to collect an Adult Passport renewal form for me?

You cannot authorise someone else to obtain an Adult Passport renewal form on your behalf as you must answer security questions when you collect the form.  The Adult Passport renewal form is pre-filled with information from your previous passport application.  You can print your own form at Passports Online.

Can I print my form in black and white?

Yes.  You can print your form in either black and white or colour. 

My original documents (citizenship certificate, birth certificate, marriage certificate) are in Australia and I am worried about having them posted to me as they may get lost in the mail.

Have a friend or family member take them to a Passport Office or Australia Post offices in Australian that provide passport services.  The staff there can copy and confirm that they have seen the original documents and send copies to us.  This needs to happen before you lodge your application in Singapore.

Do you accept notarised copies of documents?

No.  You must provide the original documents.   There is no exception to this rule.  If your original documents are not in Singapore, they can be taken to any Australian passport office worldwide in the same manner as above.  They do not have to be presented at the same office where you are making your application.  Just tell the overseas office that you are making the application in Singapore and they will send the copy to us.

Can I have my passport delivered?

Yes, we offer free delivery to Singapore.  Ask our team about the requirements and details at your next visit.

What are the costs of a Passport?

Passport applications lodged overseas incur an additional overseas application fee (overseas surcharge). This fee is included in the total fee on our Fee Table for each passport type.  To see the exact price of the overseas surcharge, visit the fee page at This fee does not apply to replacement passport and emergency passport applications. See Passports: Fees (

Do you charge in SGD or AUD?

All services at the Australian High Commission will be charged in Australian dollars.

Please be aware that you may be charged a foreign transaction fee or currency conversion fee by your credit card provider if your credit card was not issued in Australia. See Passports: Fees (


Child Passport Application FAQs

How do I apply for a passport for my child? I am an Australian Citizen. My child was born in Singapore.

Before you can apply for an Australian passport for your child, you should first apply for Australian Citizenship by Descent.  When citizenship is confirmed, your child\'s Australian citizenship certificate and Singapore birth certificate will be part of the required documents when applying for a passport.   See our Child Passport page for more information.

For more information about Australian citizenship see the Visa and Citizenship section of our website.

For information about Singapore birth certificates contact the Singapore Immigration and Citizenship Authority.

Who needs to sign child passport applications?

Written consent must be given by each person who has parental responsibility for the child.  Generally, people with parental responsibility are the parents named on the child's full birth certificate.

Who can witness our signatures on our child’s passport application?

Your witness for your child’s passport application cannot be related by birth or marriage or live with you. This means no sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandma or grandpa, in-laws or domestic helpers.

I am unable to get the consent of the other parent as I am no longer in contact with them. What can I do?

In some circumstances a child’s passport can be approved without the consent of both parents (e.g. providing an Australian court order permitting a child to travel internationally).  Every effort should be made to gain consent before lodging an application.  Please contact us for further advice if you are unable to obtain consent.  Without consent the processing of an application can take an additional 4-6 weeks.  If the application is not approved, you will not be entitled to a refund of the application fee.  We encourage you to not book travel until you know the outcome of your application.

Are there additional requirements for applications for children born through a surrogacy arrangement?

Yes.  Please see here for more details.

Additional FAQs

I may have lost my Australian citizenship certificate. How do I get a replacement?

All citizenship enquiries need to be made to the Department of Home Affairs.  Please refer to the Department of Home Affairs website.

How do I get a replacement Australian birth certificate?

Please contact the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registry in your state or territory.

My passport visa pages are full, but it has not expired. What can I do?

You will need to apply for a replacement. To maintain the security of our passports, we do not insert additional blank pages into an existing passport.  If there are more than 2 years validity remaining on your passport, you can apply for a replacement passport with the same validity as your current passport at a reduced cost.

I have recently married a foreign national.  How can I obtain an Australian passport for my spouse?

We can only issue passports to Australian citizens.  Marriage does not entitle your spouse to hold an Australian passport unless they also hold Australian citizenship.  If you and your spouse would like to live in Australia, you should contact the Department of Home Affairs about relevant visas.

How can I replace a damaged passport?

You will probably need to apply for another passport.   Book an appointment for “Lost, stolen or damaged passport" at ( and bring your damaged passport along with your application for a new passport.  Depending on your travel schedule and your documents of identity and citizenship, you may be able to apply for an emergency passport.  Otherwise, you can apply for replacement passport.  If you need to travel urgently (within the next two weeks) please contact us at [email protected]

I am a dual citizen. Which passport should I use when entering and departing Australia?

Australians who are dual nationals are required to enter and depart Australia on their Australian passport.   An Australian cannot be granted a visa to visit Australia using a foreign passport.

I am Australian but as I did not obtain an Australian passport before leaving Australia, I am using my Singapore passport.  Do I have to apply for an Australian passport to return to Australia?

You should apply for an Australian passport before travelling to Australia.  Visas for Australia cannot be given to Australian citizens travelling on a foreign passport and airlines will deny boarding to travellers who don’t have either an Australian passport or an Australian visa.

When I apply for a new passport, what happens to the visas in my current passport?  Can I still use them?

Please contact the visa office of the country that issued the visa for information about their requirements.  Only the visa issuing authority or country can provide advice on the validity of the visa and the process for obtaining a new visa.


Can't find the answer to your question? Contact us at [email protected]